Saturday, December 31, 2011

Dec 15th, A Day to Remember

Ellianna has been asking questions about God lately that have been amazing.  On the morning of Dec 15th, on the way to school, we were listening to the Christmas song, Manger Throne, by Third Day.  Elli told me she thought there was something wrong with the song.  She said, "Mommy, it says Jesus came down, but we know God is in heaven, so which one is it?  Did Jesus come down or is He God?"  I was excited to help Elli understand by things she already knew.  So I asked her, "Elli how many persons are in God?"  She replied with three, The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit. I then helped her see the role of each.  The Father is in heaven and remains there.  The Son had to come to earth as a man in order to make it clear to us that we need a savior from our sins and in order to be the sacrifice needed to take those sins away.   The Spirit then gives us the power to be more like Christ, helping us know right from wrong.  That satisfied her question and then she replied with, "Mommy, I don't think the spirit has given me all my powers yet because I cannot fly."  (let me interject that I love her 5 year oldness too:)  She came to the conclusion that it must come later when she is in heaven.  She then said, "Mommy, I believe Jesus is God and that He saved me from my sins. I have asked Him to forgive me and I know I am going to heaven.  So, that makes me a missionary."  "With tears in my eyes, I told her that a lot of people would call her a Christian, but that being a Christian makes her a missionary because she is supposed to tell others about Jesus and what He has done.  Later that evening she told me she could feel the power of the spirit telling her to ask Brent to forgive her for not obeying.  A few days later she told her friends and family that she was a Christian now because she believes in Jesus.  What a wonderful day for me as Elli's mom to experience her realization of who God is.  My prayer for her has always been that she will never know of a time when she didn't know about Jesus.  Now, she will know of a time when He became real to her as well.  Praise God for a great gift.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

What a precious day! Stephen did the same recently. Brought tears to my eyes. I love to hear about our children's growing up even though we are far away!

fergs13 said...

So awesome!